10 Amazing facts about cats
- Cats can drink seawater. Unlike humans, cats have kidneys that can filter out salt and use the water content to hydrate their bodies.
- Cats can’t taste sweet things. Scientists believe that a mutation in a key taste receptor has prevented cats from being able to taste sugar. No cat will ever know the joy of a cupcake.
- The furry tufts on the inside of cats’ ears are called “ear furnishings”. They insulate the ear, and help filter out direct sounds and debris.
- The ridged pattern on cat’s nose is as unique as a human fingerprint. But cats can’t see directly below their noses. That’s why they miss food that’s right in front of them.
- By neutering a cat, you add about two to three years to its life.
- Most female cats are right-pawed, and most male cats favour their left paws.
- A female cat is called a “molly” or a “queen”. Male cats are called “toms”.
- Cats sweat through the pads of their paws.
- Cats have a third eyelid called a “haw”. It’s generally only visible when they’re unwell.
- Russian scientists discovered in the 1930s that Siamese kittens kept in very warm rooms didn’t develop the breed’s signature dark patches.